This easy artichoke salad is perfect for a main course vegetarian salad or served alongside grilled chicken or fish for the omnivores.
You might want to accompany it with grilled polenta.
When it comes to simple, wholesome, delicious food, the Italians rise to the top. This Sicilian-style artichoke salad calls for ready-to-use artichoke hearts. Don’t use the artichoke hearts that come marinated in oil. Look in the canned veggie aisle for the unadorned version.
Not every grocery store carries canned artichokes. You can also use frozen artichoke hearts. Thaw them and measure out one and a half cups to replace the canned version.
Roast the artichoke hearts to deepen the flavor, then combine them with fresh arugula, tomatoes, red onions, and herbs. Drizzle on a freshly made balsamic vinegar dressing and oh, your mouth is going to be so happy!
- ¼ cups extra virgin olive oil divided
- 1 14- oz. can or jar artichoke hearts drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning divided
- 2-3 garlic cloves minced
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 3 cups fresh arugula
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes cut in half
- 1 medium red onion cut in half and sliced
- 3 tablespoons capers drained
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 8- oz. small fresh Mozzarella balls cut in half
- Sprigs of fresh herbs for garnish
Make the salad
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a large, rimmed baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper.
- Pat the artichoke hearts dry and transfer to a large bowl. Add one tablespoon olive oil, ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning, and the minced garlic. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Toss to combine.
- Arrange seasoned artichokes on the prepared baking sheet in a single, uniform layer and place in the pre-heated oven to roast until tender and slightly browned around the edges, approximately 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the fresh arugula, tomatoes, red onion, capers, and fresh herbs in a large salad bowl. Set aside.
- Remove the artichokes from the oven. Cool slightly before adding to the salad. Toss to combine and top with fresh mozzarella.
- Garnish the artichoke salad with fresh herbs, if using, and serve immediately with the balsamic dressing.
Make the dressing
- Combine the remaining olive oil with the balsamic vinegar, fresh lemon juice, Dijon mustard, and remaining Italian seasoning in a glass jar. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, tighten on the lid, and shake until emulsified. Set aside.