These chocolate chip waffles have a double pop of chocolate and are sweetened with ripe bananas. Serve them for an indulgent breakfast or add them to the dessert menu.
Begin this recipe by whipping the eggs white with sugar. You’ll fold these into the combined dry ingredients. Doing so creates a fluffy chocolate chip waffle. If you’re too strapped for time, you can skip this step, but the resulting waffles won’t be quite as fluffy. (They’ll still have all the double chocolate-y goodness, though!)
Choose ripe bananas for this recipe. If you happen to have whole bananas in the freezer, it’s easy to thaw them out and squeeze the pulp into the batter. You won’t even need to mash them, since they’ll be plenty soft from being frozen.
Pour the batter into a greased waffle maker. They’ll be ready to eat in about 8 minutes or so.
- 7 Tips for Waffle Success
- Making Waffles Step-by-Step
- Common Waffle Ingredients & Potential Substitutes
Use regular chocolate chips for this recipe or the cute mini chocolate chips. Either kind will work. You’ll definitely want to sprinkle a few extras on top of your stack, along with some toasted walnuts for extra flavor. Add a dollop of whipped cream to really make these waffles special.
These chocolate chip waffles would also work very (very!) well with a slab of vanilla ice cream sandwiched in the middle. DIY ice cream sandwiches!
- 3 large eggs separated
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 bananas mashed
- 2 cups milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¾ cup chocolate chips
- Using a stand or handheld mixer, beat egg whites and sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Combine remaining ingredients (except the chocolate chipin a separate bowl and stir together, making sure to not over-stir.
- Fold in the whipped egg whites, until just incorporated.
- Add chocolate chips.
- Pour the waffle batter into a waffle iron; cook according to manufacturer’s instructions or follow these guidelines for making waffles.
- Top as desired, with maple syrup, chocolate chips, nuts, powdered sugar, and (owhipped cream.