This gluten-free chicken burrito skillet recipe is a great healthy option for the busy weeknights! Throw it together in one pan in 30 minutes!
Looking for more quick, healthy meals? Try this easy Mexican chopped salad!
Who doesn’t love a single pan meal? This chicken burrito skillet is everything you love in a delicious, flavorful burrito, but made in one pan. And without the tortilla! I will not go as far as to say this is a traditional Mexican dish, but it does tick off those delicious flavors that are familiar to Mexican dishes!
The ingredients and instructions are super simple with this recipe, which makes it perfect for a weeknight dinner. However, if you want to get creative with the ingredients, go for it!
Making this chicken burrito skillet
First, heat your pan with olive oil, and cook the onions and peppers until they are soft and slightly caramelized.
Then, add the cubed chicken pieces into the pan and cook (I like to use the boneless, skinless chicken breasts because they are so easy to prepare).
While your chicken is cooking, add the seasonings (cumin, smoked paprika, Mexican oregano, chipotle powder, and salt and pepper). After you cook the chicken, add the frozen corn and beans. Cook these in the pan for another 8 minutes or so. This is where you can also test taste and see if you need to add any more spices (we like it spicy in this family)!
It is optional, but I love to add a layer of cheese over the top of the pan and cover the pan till the cheese melts. I cannot resist the cheesy goodness! Serve over brown rice or cauliflower rice with fresh cilantro and lime wedges!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ medium red onion, diced
- 2 red or green bell peppers, diced
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1½ lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized cubes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- ½ teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 14-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Optional, to serve:
- ½ cup Monterey Jack, shredded
- 1 large avocado, chopped
- 1 large lime, sliced into 8 wedges
1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and peppers and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies are soft and slightly caramelized, around 7-8 minutes.
2. Add chicken, ground cumin, smoked paprika, Mexican oregano, and chipotle powder and cook, stirring occasionally,
until the chicken is lightly browned on all sides, around 3-4 minutes. Season with additional salt and black pepper, to taste.
3. Stir in black beans and frozen corn. Cook, stirring once or twice, until everything is warmed through, around 6-8 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired.
4. Remove from heat and stir in half of the fresh cilantro and lime juice. If using, sprinkle cheese on top and cover with until cheese melts. Serve immediately topped with remaining cilantro, chopped avocado, and fresh lime wedges, if desired. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 608Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 157mgSodium: 685mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 13gSugar: 5gProtein: 66g