Packed with protein, these crispy coconut flour waffles are a great start to the morning and will satisfy even the hungriest of eaters.
Try this gluten free recipe for huevos rancheros, too!
Now, I’ll be the first one to admit that these coconut flour waffles are a bit different than your standard plate of waffles. Coconut flour has a stronger flavor than other alternative flours. This is great if you like the flavor of coconut, but it may be off-putting for someone who’s sitting down to breakfast imagining their favorite buttermilk waffle.
For people seeking a grain free waffle, one that’s suitable for a Keto or gluten free diet, these can be the difference between “waffles” and “no waffles.” (This almond flour waffle recipe is another grain free, gluten free option.)
- 7 Tips for Waffle Success
- Making Waffles Step-by-Step
- Common Waffle Ingredients & Potential Substitutes
If you’ve never used coconut flour, here’s what you need to know. Do NOT use it as a 1:1 replacement for all-purpose flour. About a quarter cup of coconut flour is sufficient to replace 1 cup of regular flour. It helps to remember this when you go to buy coconut flour — the price tag can be surprising, but that little bag of coconut flour goes a long way!
Making coconut flour waffles
This recipe comes together quickly with a blender. If you don’t have a blender, you can use a hand mixer, a stand mixer, or yes, even a whisk.
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- Start waffle iron to preheat.
- Combine all ingredients except the coconut flour in the container of a blender. Blend at medium speed for 30 seconds or until coconut oil is thoroughly mixed in.
- Add coconut flour to the mix and blend for another 30 seconds.
- Allow waffle batter to sit for about 5 minutes so coconut flour can absorb the liquid.
- Cook waffles according to manufacturer's instructions or follow the step-by-step instructions for making waffles (in the sidebar). It should take about 8 minutes to completely cook each waffle.
This recipe makes two 7-inch round waffles.
At the maximum heat setting, they took eight minutes to cook in my Oster waffle iron.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 4 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 327Saturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 205mgSodium: 401mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 5gSugar: 1gProtein: 9g