Raise your hand if you like easy! This blueberry sauce recipe is just that. With only three ingredients, it comes together quickly and is perfect for topping waffles or pancakes.
For a smooth weekend breakfast in the kitchen, start cooking this blueberry sauce — also known as a blueberry compote — before you begin making your waffle (or pancake) batter. Let it cook while you’re mixing and cooking the rest of the meal and it will be ready to serve right on time.
Store leftover blueberry sauce recipe in the fridge for up to a week. If you don’t have the chance to serve it with waffles again, use it in a fruit smoothie!
What’s great about this blueberry sauce is that it gives you a full serving of fruit and has little added sugar. In fact, if your blueberries are extra sweet, you could skip the sugar in this recipe entirely.
This blueberry sauce is made without cornstarch as a thickener. If you like a thicker sauce, combine two teaspoons of cornstarch with two teaspoons of water. Slowly stir it into the hot sauce in the saucepan at the end of it’s cooking time.
- 3 cups blueberries , fresh or frozen
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon pineapple juice concentrate
- Warm pineapple juice concentrate in a medium saucepan until it melts.
- Add blueberries and sugar, stirring until combined. Cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- As sauce cooks, smash some of the berries.
- To thicken the sauce, use a slotted spoon to remove the berries. Continue cooking the juice in the pan for 2 to 3 more minutes, or until the liquid is reduced by half. Return berries to pan.
- Serve warm over waffles or pancakes.
No pineapple juice concentrate on hand? You can substitute orange juice concentrate.
This recipe will keep, refrigerated, for up to a week.
This blueberry sauce recipe is made without cornstarch as a thickener. If you like a thicker sauce, combine two teaspoons of cornstarch with two teaspoons of water. Slowly stir it into the hot sauce at the end of it’s cooking time.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 6 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 67Saturated Fat: 1gSodium: 1mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 2gSugar: 14gProtein: 1g