This simple marinated and grilled asparagus with Italian gremolata is the perfect, fresh and quick side to any dinner meal!
Looking for a main dish to accompany this side? Try this creamy risotto with sausage and mushrooms or these simple, delicious seared tuna steaks! And while the grill’s on, cook up these fun corn ribs.
Okay, I’ll admit it. Sometimes I fall into a plain steamed veggies rut when it comes to preparing greens. I just steam and salt and pepper. Which is super simple but can also get boring after a while! I love this recipe because it still is super simple (and quick) but the flavors really elevate the asparagus to more than just your average greens.
Making these grilled asparagus
The first key to making this recipe is marinating the asparagus. This is a super simple task, but it really makes the asparagus extra juicy and flavorful. I toss the asparagus in a bowl with the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and salt and pepper, then let it sit for 15-20 minutes. It is also a good time to turn on the grill and preheating it on medium-high heat.
While this is sitting, it’s a perfect time to throw together the gremolata. Traditionally, Italian gremolata is made with chopped parsley, lemon zest, and grated garlic. However, I like to add some preserved lemon rind, just for that extra pop of flavor.
Once the asparagus is done marinating and you’ve finished preparing the gremolata, spray the grates with non-stick cooking spray and place the asparagus directly on the grill. Grill them for 3-4 minutes per side or until they reach your preferred color. Then, all that’s left to do is top it with the gremolata and enjoy!
Don’t want to use the grill?
If you don’t feel like going through the hassle with the grill (I know sometimes I don’t), you can also fry the asparagus on a pan. Just throw a tablespoon of olive oil on a medium heat pan and fry them until they are the preferred color and crispiness.
- 1 lb. fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1½ teaspoon Mediterranean-spiced sea salt*
- Black pepper, to taste
- 2 whole lemons, cut in half
- Shaved Parmesan cheese, to serve (optional)
For the Gremolata
- ¼ cup fresh parsley leaves, washed, dried thoroughly, and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon organic lemon zest
- 2 teaspoon preserved lemon rind, rinsed and finely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, grated
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
1. Place asparagus in a wide, shallow bowl and drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Season with Mediterranean-spiced sea salt and black pepper, to taste. Gently toss to combine and set aside for 15-20 minutes to marinade.
2. Prepare the gremolata by combining all ingredients is a small bowl. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and set aside.
3. Spray grill grates with non-stick cooking spray and preheat grill to medium-high. Place asparagus and lemon halves over direct heat and grill for 3-4 minutes per side, or until they are crisp tender.
4. Remove from heat and transfer to a serving dish. Top with gremolata and serve immediately with grilled lemons for squeezing and shaved Parmesan cheese, if desired. Enjoy!
Omit the Parmesan cheese to make this recipe vegan.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 181Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 22mgSodium: 1366mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 11g