This quick and easy egg casserole recipe ticks off a lot of boxes: It can be made ahead for a no-fuss brunch recipe, it’s low-carb and keto-friendly, it’s gluten free, and this overnight egg casserole is delicious.
When springtime rolls around, those of us who raise chickens often find ourselves with a glut of fresh eggs. It’s a good problem to have, certainly, plentiful food produced right on site. But when there are lots of eggs, we need recipes that use up lots of eggs. This recipe does the trick! (You can use duck eggs, too. Because duck eggs are larger than those of chickens, use eight rather than a whole dozen for this recipe.
Making this baked egg casserole recipe
One of our favorite easy breakfast meals is an egg bake. It’s a delicious way to use up leftover bits and bobs that give the eggs great flavor. In this case, it’s ham. And then we doubled down with bacon. To make it, you’ll simply whip a dozen eggs with some milk and pour the egg mixture over the meat and spinach in the casserole dish, and top it with cheese.
At this point you can pop it in the oven for about 45 minutes or cover and store the pre-made casserole in the fridge until you’re ready to cook.
Variations on this overnight egg casserole are almost endless. Use crumbled and browned breakfast sausage instead of bacon. Swap cheddar cheese for the mozzarella. Stir in some chopped fresh or sun-dried tomatoes.
This easy egg casserole is nice enough for company, too! (Serve it with some homemade hash browns if you’re not sticking to a low carb eating plan.)
★ Did you make this egg casserole recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below! ★
- 12 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup cubed ham
- 6 slices bacon, browned, drained, and crumbled
- 2 cups spinach, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup diced onion
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper until well blended.
3. To the baking dish, add the ham, bacon, onion, and spinach. Toss together and then create an even layer. Pour the eggs over the top of the mixture.
4. Add a layer of cheese.
5. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until the center is set and the cheese is melted and golden on the edges.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 348Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 418mgSodium: 852mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 31g