Potato lovers, rejoice! Here’s one more tasty way to prepare your favorite spuds. These garlic mashed potatoes made in the slow cooker are the perfect fix-and-forget side dish — and the perfect comfort food!
Serve them with this delicious braised pork for a perfect meal.
Slow cooker mashed potatoes for the win!
This recipe is great any time, but this recipe is especially helpful when you’re making a large meal and short on stovetop space. Cooking the potatoes in the slow cooker means you can free up a burner!
We like red potatoes because the skin is tender enough that we don’t need to peel them. You could certainly use regular baking potatoes (peeled) or Yukon Gold potatoes in this recipe instead.
Start by cutting the potatoes into chunks. (This step is unnecessary if you use small new potatoes or fingerling potatoes.) Medium sized red potatoes will only need to be quartered. Cut larger potatoes into roughly 2″ pieces.
Combine the potatoes with garlic cloves, olive oil, salt, and pepper in the crock of the slow cooker. Set them to cook and walk away. Cooking them in the slow cooker like this means you don’t have to stand by and monitor for overflows like you do when boiling potatoes.
Preparing these creamy potatoes
When the potatoes are done (they should be fork tender), you’ll just need to do the mashing and add the final touches. Making these homemade mashed potatoes with cream cheese means they’re deliciously creamy.
A hand-held electric mixer will make quick work of the potatoes, but you can also use a potato masher. I suggest letting the cream cheese come to room temperature before mashing by hand.
Once the potatoes are done — check this out — you can leave them in the slow cooker on warm until you’re ready to serve the meal.
★ Did you make these garlic mashed potatoes? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below! ★
- 5 pounds medium red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into quarters
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup water
- ¾ cup (6 ounces) cream cheese
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon chives, finely chopped (optional)
- Lightly oil the crock of the slow cooker.
- Put the potatoes, garlic, oil, salt, pepper and water into the crock and toss.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours.
- When the potatoes are cooked through, use a hand held electric mixer or a potato masher to whip potatoes to your desired consistency. Some like them chunky, some less so!
- Mash the cream cheese into the potatoes.
- Add the milk a little at a time until you like the consistency.
- Stir in the chives if you're using them, sprinkle more over the top, and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 319Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 457mgCarbohydrates: 57gFiber: 5gSugar: 4gProtein: 8g