This low carb chicken shawarma wrap is overflowing with delicious, aromatic flavors of Middle Eastern cuisine. Perfect healthy option for any meal!
Looking for more healthy meals for lunch or a light dinner? Try these delicious turkey lettuce wraps (just in time to use those Thanksgiving leftovers)!
Homemade grilled chicken shawarma wrap
As with most foods, the origins of shawarma is somewhat up to debate. One of the more popular theories is that it originates from the Ottoman Empire (roughly around Turkey) in the 18th or 19th century, and is a Levantine preparation of meat, where the meat is slowly cooked on a turning spit.
Although this version of chicken shawarma is grilled rather than cooked on a spit, it is still filled with all the delicious and surprising spices of the traditional shawarma. I mean, can you get more interesting than aromatic spices like allspice, turmeric, and cinnamon, and savory flavors like garlic, cayenne, and smoked paprika? All of these ingredients will go into the marinade that you soak your chicken in.
Prepping the chicken shawarma marinade ahead of time
Although you don’t have to soak your chicken for longer than several hours, I love to let my chicken sit in the marinade in the fridge overnight for extra flavor! Pro tip: for quick grab-and-go meals double or triple your marinade and chicken and stick the extra chicken/marinade in freezer bags and into the freezer. When you need a meal, just pull the bag out and leave it in the fridge overnight to thaw and marinade!
Assembling your chicken shawarma wrap
When you’re ready to make your chicken shawarma wraps, throw your Greek yogurt dressing ingredients in a glass bowl and mix together. Then take out your marinading chicken and strain out the excess marinade before placing them on a medium heated pan with olive oil. First, brown both sides of the meat, then turn the heat onto low and cook the chicken through (this should take around 6-7 minutes).
After the chicken is cooked, assemble it on your lettuce leaves with cucumbers and tomatoes. Last but not least, drizzle with your Greek yogurt dressing!
For the Marinade
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 6 chicken thighs, boneless and skinless
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
For the Greek Yogurt Dressing
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
For the Wraps
- Bibb or Romaine lettuce leaves
- Tomato slices
- Cucumber slices
1. In a medium bowl, combine garlic, spices, lemon juice, and extra virgin olive oil. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and whisk to combine.
2. Place chicken thighs in a large, sealable plastic bag and pour marinade mixture on top. Seal the bag and gently turn to thoroughly coat chicken. Place in the refrigerator for several hours to overnight.
3. To prepare the yogurt sauce, combine all ingredients in a glass or other non-reactive bowl and stir to combine. Cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
4. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Remove chicken from bag and discard remaining marinade. Add the chicken to the hot skillet and brown on each side, approximately 2 minutes per side. Season with additional
salt and black pepper, if desired.
5. Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking until chicken is cooked through, approximately 6-7 minutes per side. Remove from heat and let cool for several minutes.
6. Slice chicken and arrange on lettuce leaves and top with tomatoes and cucumbers. Drizzle with Greek yogurt dressing and serve immediately. Enjoy!
For quick make-ahead meals, double or triple this recipe and prepare several freezers bags with chicken and marinade at once. Then, place each bag in freezer until ready to use. Pull out a bag the night before preparing to give the chicken a chance to defrost and marinade at the same time.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 624Total Fat: 45gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 33gCholesterol: 252mgSodium: 514mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 53g