A favorite dish in Mexico, this huevos rancheros recipe– or rancher’s eggs — is common fare in many Mexican food restaurants. At its most basic, it’s a fried egg served in a tortilla, but the toppings make each plate unique!
Check out these other breakfast recipes, too!
Making this easy huevos rancheros recipe
This traditional Mexican breakfast recipe is a welcome addition to almost any weekend brunch menu. The heart of this dish includes lightly fried eggs sitting atop crispy corn tortillas. From there, customize it with your choice of delicious toppings, ranging from refried beans to spicy salsa.
This recipe calls for frying the eggs sunny side up, resulting in a somewhat runny yolk. Top this egg dish with sliced avocado, cilantro, Jack cheese, refried beans (or black beans), and your favorite salsa. Add a dollop of sour cream if you like. Or sliced black olives. Maybe hot peppers. Or sliced green onions.
Your imagination is the limit, here!
Scrambling the eggs
If you’re not a fan of fried eggs, no problem! Instead, combine all four eggs in a bowl and whisk them with a fork. Stir in a tablespoon or two of water (or cream, if you want to be indulgent!) and pour mixture into a skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the egg is set. Divide scrambled eggs between the four tortillas and top as you like!
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 corn tortillas
- 4 eggs large
- Chipotle chile powder to taste
- Sea salt to taste
Optional toppings for serving
- 1 avocado sliced
- ½ cup fresh cilantro finely chopped
- 4 ounces Monterey-Jack cheese shredded
- 1 cup Refried beans
- 1 cup Salsa
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add corn tortillas, one at a time, to the skillet and fry for 15-20 seconds on each side, just until the tortillas begin to crisp around the edges. Transfer to a plate and blot off excess oil with paper towels. Repeat with remaining tortillas and set aside.
Cook the eggs:
- Fry eggs over medium-low heat, sunny-side — just until the whites are set and the yolks are still runny. Season with chipotle powder and sea salt and remove from heat.
- Top each tortilla with a sunny-side up egg and serve immediately with choice of diced avocado, fresh cilantro, shredded Monterey-Jack cheese, refried beans, and/or spicy salsa on the side. Enjoy!