This Mexican shredded beef is easy to make in the slow cooker or the Instant Pot. Flavorful and tender pulled beef is perfect for serving as part of your favorite taco or enchilada recipe.
For another easy weeknight meal, try this slow cooker chicken cacciatore!
Slow cooker Mexican shredded beef
The slow cooker — brand name crockpot/crock pot — is one of my favorite kitchen appliances for making meals easy. This is basically a “toss it all in and walk away” recipe. Fill the slow cooker in the morning before you head to work and dinner will be ready when you walk in the door.
Tacos made with this tender beef are an easy weeknight dinner. You’ll just need to gather the toppings and warm up some tortillas and dinner is ready!
Instant Pot shredded beef
The big drawback to a slow cooker is that you DO need to remember to start cooking early in the day. If you forgot? That’s when to fall back on the Instant Pot! When you pressure cook this roast with all of the seasonings, it’s ready in about an hour and incredibly tender.
- Use this tender shredded beef to make enchiladas. Roll the beef up in corn tortillas, arrange in a baking pan, cover with enchilada sauce and cheese, and bake for 30 minutes or so.
- Serve alongside warm tortillas with cheese, onions, tomatoes, and salsa for shredded beef tacos.
- Spoon it over tortilla chips and sprinkle on some cheese for beef nachos.
★ Did you make this shredded beef recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below! ★
- 2½ pounds beef chuck roast
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- ½ Yellow onion, medium sized, diced
- 1 Jalapeno, thinly sliced
- 1½ teaspoon Ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon Smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon Chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano, dried
- 10-oz. Tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 cup Beef stock
- 1 tablespoon Fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 large limes, cut into 8 wedges each
Slow cooker instructions:
- Generously season the beef with salt and pepper on all sides and place in slow cooker crock. Add all remaining ingredients, cover, and cook on low for 8 hours.
Instant Pot pressure cooker instructions:
- Generously season the beef with salt and pepper on all sides and place in slow cooker crock. Add all remaining ingredients.
- Put the lid on and turn the valve to sealing. Select manual and set the cook time for 60 minutes. When the cook time is over, turn the Instant Pot off and let the pressure release naturally for 20 minutes. Turn the valve to vent; once pressure is released, remove the lid.
Shredding the beef:
- When done cooking, remove lid of slow cooker or pressure cooker; use two forks to shred beef while still inside the cooking pot. Allow shredded beef to marinate in warm cooking juices for 5 minutes to absorb more flavor.
- Transfer shredded beef from slow cooker to a serving platter with tongs, allowing excess liquid to drain. Top with chopped cilantro and serve immediately with fresh lime wedges and additional cooking juices on the side, if desired. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 356Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 118mgSodium: 348mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 36g