This gluten-free and refined sugar-free lemon fig olive oil cupcake recipe makes the perfect, healthy dessert for any and all occasions!
Looking for more easy dessert recipes? Try this simple lemon cranberry cake!
I don’t always rave about desserts (I’m more of a savory kind of gal), but these lemon, fig, and olive oil cupcakes are to die for! The subtle sweetness of the fig and honey is so perfectly complemented by the tart lemon flavor.
Plus, they are gluten-free, dairy-free (if you don’t add the optional Mascarpone topping), and refined sugar-free! Which just means I eat way too many of them whenever I make this recipe, but completely justify it.
Making this olive oil cupcake recipe
This olive oil cupcake recipe is so simple to make! This recipe calls for a 4 cup jumbo muffin pan. However, if you have the smaller muffin pan, you can make 6-8 smaller cupcakes, as well. Just make sure to check the smaller cupcakes for doneness at 15 minutes.
Don’t forget to buy unbleached cupcake liners before making these cupcakes. They are a game changer to cleaning your pans afterwards! Pro tip: Even if you’re using cupcake liners, it’s helpful to give them a quick spray with some non-stick cooking spray.
Whisk together the eggs, honey, olive oil, lemon zest, and lemon juice until combined. Then, in a different bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. Once all the ingredients are mixed thoroughly, slowly fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. When you’re using almond flour, it’s important to make sure you mix the batter until there’s no lumps.
Stir the chopped figs into the batter, then separate the batter evenly into the cupcake liners till they’re about 2/3 full. If you’re using the jumbo muffin pan, keep them in the oven for 18-22 minutes or until the sides start to get golden brown.
If you’re okay with dairy, try these lemon fig olive oil cupcakes with some Mascarpone mixed with honey! Otherwise, use some extra fig slices to dress up these delicious cupcakes!
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup honey, preferably local
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons organic lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1¼ cup almond flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chopped figs
For Optional Topping, combine:
- ½ cup Mascarpone cheese
- 2 tablespoons honey, preferably local
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and spray 4 cups in a jumbo muffin tin with some non-stick spray. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, honey, olive oil, lemon zest, and lemon juice until combined. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Slowly fold the dry ingredients
into the wet ingredients. Continue stirring until the batter is smooth and lump-free.
4. Stir chopped figs into the batter until thoroughly incorporated.
5. Divide batter between the 4 jumbo muffin cups and place the pre-heated oven to bake until the cakes are golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, approximately 18-22 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and cool for 5-10 minutes before removing from muffin tin.
7. If desired, serve immediately with some honey-sweetened mascarpone cheese and vanilla fig jam. Enjoy!
You can also use a smaller muffin tin to make 6-8 cakes, if preferred. For smaller cakes, check for doneness after 15 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 685Total Fat: 56gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 33gCholesterol: 169mgSodium: 553mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 5gSugar: 32gProtein: 13g