This baked lemon chicken recipe is a winner, winner (chicken dinner!) because it’s so danged easy. Spread the ingredients out on a sheet pan, bake, and voila!
Looking for another easy chicken dinner recipe? Try this slow cooker chicken cacciatore.
Baked lemon chicken on a sheet pan
Not only is this baked lemon chicken really easy; it’s flexible, too! The recipe calls for chicken thighs, but you can certainly use a whole cut-up fryer instead. If you do, note that the thicker cuts might take a tad longer to bake all the way through.
If you’re trying to cut carbs, you can opt to use broccoli or cauliflower florets instead of the potatoes. The vegetables will cook somewhat faster than the potatoes, though. Instead of putting everything on the pan together, start cooking the chicken thighs first. Add the vegetables to the sheet pan once the chicken has been baking for 15 minutes.
This sheet pan lemon chicken is perfect for busy weeknight dinners. Serve it alongside a fresh green salad or with hot buttered noodles or rice.
Tip: Double the recipe so you have enough for lunch the next day. You could even toss the roasted vegetables and deboned, cooked chicken with cooked pasta for an easy pasta salad.
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 8 large red potatoes, cut into 2" chunks
- 1 pint cherry (or grape) tomatoes, whole
- 1 t. dried basil
- 1 t. dried oregano
- 1 t. dried rosemary
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 3 T. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs, with skin
- 2 medium lemons, sliced
- Sprigs of fresh parsley and rosemary, for garnish (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F and line a large rimmed, baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat® baking mat. Set aside.
- Combine red onion, potatoes, and tomatoes in a large glass bowl and sprinkle with the dried herbs. Drizzle with two tablespoons olive oil and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Toss to coat and spread into a single layer onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Add the chicken thighs to the bowl and drizzle with the remaining olive oil. Season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired, and turn to coat. Nestle chicken thighs in between the veggies on the baking sheet and top each with one or two lemon slices. Scatter the remaining lemon slices amongst the veggies on the baking sheet.
- Place baking sheet in the pre-heated oven for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and turn the veggies. Return to oven to roast for another 20-25 minutes, or until the chicken is
- Remove from oven and let chicken rest for 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh herbs, if using, and serve immediately.
Food Safety Tip: The safe cooking temperature for chicken is 165°F. Use an instant-read thermometer to test for doneness. Remove from oven when internal temperature at the thickest part reaches at least 160°F. The temperature will continue to rise several degrees while the chicken rests.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 926Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 166mgSodium: 375mgCarbohydrates: 124gFiber: 13gSugar: 11gProtein: 45g