Ready for your next favorite Italian dish? This slow cooker pasta e fagioli is the essential Italian comfort soup! Filled with nutritious vegetables, beans, and pasta, it is the perfect soup to curl up with after a long day.
For another easy-to-make-at-home soup, try this hearty Italian minestrone!
What is Pasta e Fagioli?
Pasta e fagioli simply translates to “pasta and beans,” which is essentially the foundation of this soup. Similar to many dishes that we know and love from Italy, pasta e fagioli was a peasant dish in its origins. However, its humble beginnings do not detract from the rich and hearty flavors we find in this soup.
Prep ahead of time
One of the best things about this whole recipe is that you can prep your ingredients before hand.
Simply chop up all the vegetables, then brown the meat and onions in a pan. If you’re expecting a rushed week, you can always prep ahead of time and store it in the fridge until you’re ready to make the meal.
This recipe calls for ditalini pasta, but you can use any small pasta if you don’t have ditalini in the pantry.
Slow cooking this pasta e fagioli
Once the meat is browned and veggies are prepped, it’s simply a matter of throwing all your ingredients (minus the pasta) into your slow cooker and letting it cooking on low for about 6 hours. You cannot beat the effortlessness of a slow cooked meal!
There is really not much that is better than coming home after work to a ready-made dinner. Just don’t forget to add the pasta around 30 minutes before you eat, so it cooks to a perfect al dente!
Serve this hearty soup with a fresh green salad and a slice of homemade bread for a complete meal.
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 - 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 - 15 ounce can cannelloni beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 - 15 ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 cups cabbage, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup ditalini pasta
1. In a skillet over medium-high heat, cook the ground chuck and onion until the meat is browned and crumbled. Drain well.
2. Place all ingredients EXCEPT the pasta into the slow cooker crock and stir to combine.
3. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
4. Add the pasta to the slow cooker and stir to combine, pushing the pasta below the liquid line. Cover and cook for an additional 30 minutes or until the pasta is al dente.
5. Serve with grated parmesan cheese if desired. Enjoy!