Looking for a hearty meal that will please both the carnivores and the vegans at the dinner table? Try this sweet potato black bean chili! It’s perfect for Meatless Monday!
Love your Instant Pot? Be sure to try these Thai peanut noodles, too!
Who wants to cook after a long day at work? Amirite?? I mean, I enjoy cooking when the timing is right, but some nights I need a good, filling meal that doesn’t require much thought or effort. This is it.
Black beans are a great high protein ingredient for vegans and vegetarians. The addition of sweet potatoes makes this black bean chili extra hearty. Serve it with a crusty loaf of bread and your people will be happy.
Instant Pot Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
This recipe starts with dry black beans (frugal shopper alert!). Using an Instant Pot means you don’t even have to soak them. That said, many people still DO soak their dry beans. Soaking beans helps eliminate some of the phytic acid in beans. Phytic acid is considered an “anti-nutrient.”
So, your call. If you want to soak the beans before cooking, cover them with several inches of water in the morning before you go to work. When you are ready to make this vegetarian chili, drain them completely and add them to the Instant Pot.
Making this black bean chili recipe couldn’t be easier. You’ll need to chop the sweet potatoes and onions, but beyond that it’s a simple matter of assembling the ingredients in an Instant Pot, setting the cook time, and waiting. That means while it’s cooking, you can take a little bit of “me” time. Or, you know, catch up on chores.
Instant Pot Vegetarian Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
This hearty chili will leave you satisfied! It's made with wholesome ingredients, perfect for Meatless Monday.
- 2 cups dry black beans, rinsed and sorted
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped (the equivalent of approximately 4 cups)
- ½ white onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes, with juice
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- Combine all ingredients to Instant Pot inner pot.
- Close the instant pot lid and turn pressure valve to seal. Cook on manual high pressure for 20 minutes.
- When the cook time is up, place a towel over the valve and use tongs to open the valve, releasing the pressure. (The towel will contain much of the steam.) Once pressure is fully released, carefully open the lid.
Makes 8 servings.
This chili recipe is:
- Gluten free
It's great served with a dollop of homemade sour cream for those who are not vegan!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 8 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 123Saturated Fat: 1gSodium: 1058mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 7gSugar: 6gProtein: 6g