This Instant Pot 3-bean chili is the perfect, easy, go-to dinner! No more tedious, time consuming cooking, just combine all of the ingredients together in your electric pressure cooker, and voila!
Pair your 3-bean chili with this delicious, southern-style cornbread and your meal is complete.
Although its roots are Spanish, the version of chili common in America most likely originates from Texas! Are we surprised, honestly? What is more American than a great big pot of chili and a pan of cornbread??
Making this 3-bean chili in the Instant Pot
The beauty of this chili recipe is in its simplicity. Other than browning the meat beforehand, you really can just throw all your ingredients in the Instant Pot and set it to cook. Raise your hand if you love easy, 15 minute dinners!
Before you start, there are few things to keep in mind, like what taco seasoning you want to use. There are many delicious taco seasonings that you can find in the store, but you can also make it from scratch, if you want, too!
Start by seasoning the chicken (with the taco seasoning) and cooking it in the instant pot on sauté mode for about 5-6 minutes. Then add the chicken stock, scraping the bottom of the pan to loosen all of those flavorful bits.
Add the rest of the ingredients into the pot, adding the tomato sauce last.
Put on the lid and set the valve to sealing. It will take about 10 minutes to cook on “manual” or “pressure cook” setting.
When it’s done cooking, shred the chicken with two forks.
And finally, my favorite part: Choose what toppings you want for your chili! We love the sour cream, cilantro, and cheese combo in our household!
You can use a slow cooker, too
If you don’t an electric pressure cooker, don’t panic! This recipe can work in a slow cooker or crockpot, too.
First put in the chicken breasts on the bottom of the pot, then add the remaining ingredients, mixing them together well. Set the slow cooker on low for 6-8 hours.
Don’t forget to take out your chicken to shred 15-20 minutes before serving the chili.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 to 4 large chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning, divided
- 4 cups chicken, beef, or vegetable stock
- ¼ cup dried minced onion
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can white kidney or cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (7 ounce) can chopped green chiles
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomatoes and green chiles
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- Garnish suggestions: sour cream, cheese, chopped cilantro
- Season the chicken breasts on both sides with taco seasoning.
- Using the saute mode, heat the electric pressure cooker until “hot.” Add the olive oil, and chicken. Cook until the chicken is browned on both sides, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth to the electric pressure cooker and scrape the bottom with a wooden spoon to remove any cooked on bits. Cancel the saute mode.
- Pour in the remaining ingredients ending with the tomato sauce on top. Do not stir.
- Place the lid on the electric pressure cooker and set the valve to seal. Set the pressure cooker to “manual” or “pressure cook” for 10 minutes. Quick release the pressure when the cook cycle is complete.
- Transfer the hot chicken to a plate and shred it with two forks. Mix the chicken with the beans.
Top with cheese, sour cream, chopped cilantro, etc. if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 612Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 170mgSodium: 676mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 9gSugar: 5gProtein: 62g