There’s not much better than a Mediterranean-inspired seafood dish that takes less than twenty minutes to prepare. This flavorful grilled tuna steak, topped with a fresh, citrus-y gremolata sauce, is the perfect fresh midweek dinner !
Looking for more seafood dishes? Try this hearty Italian Fish Stew!
What is gremolata?
Most of us have probably heard of the name but what is gremolata? Essentially, it’s a green sauce or condiment made from parsley, lemon, and garlic. It’s commonly used to garnish osso buco (braised veal shank) but it can accompany many different dishes!
It is bright and tangy, and it’s the perfect flavor lift for this grilled tuna steak!
This particular gremolata recipe also includes preserved lemon rind, an ingredient commonly used in Moroccan dishes. This not only adds a layer of complexity in the flavor, but also some visual interest in your gremolata.
How to make this grilled tuna steak
Like I said above, one of the best things about this recipe is how simple and quick it is to make. Turn your gas grill on high heat and don’t forget to oil it to prevent sticking!
If you prefer, you can fry the tuna in a pan as well. Simple turn the heat on medium-high and add a tablespoon of your oil of choice.
Try gremolata on different foods
Ever need to freshen up your grilled veggies or add some zest to a soup? Gremolata is a great sauce to have in your back pocket! (Well, not actually in your back pocket, that would be gross…) It both lightens rich, heavy dishes and adds a tang to more simply flavored foods. One of my favorite ways to use it is as a garnish on pork chops!
For the Tuna Steaks
- 4 6-oz. sushi-grade tuna steaks, approximately 3/4” thick
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Mediterranean-spiced sea salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 2 large lemons, cut in half
For the Gremolata
- ¼ cup fresh parsley leaves, washed, dried thoroughly, and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon organic lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons preserved lemon rind, rinsed and finely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, grated
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
1. Clean grates of a gas grill and brush on a little oil to prevent sticking. Set heat to high. Close lid until grill comes to temperature.
2. Meanwhile, prepare the gremolata by combining the parsley, lemon zest, preserved lemon rind, and garlic in a small bowl. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and set aside.
3. Brush tuna steaks with olive oil and sprinkle with Mediterranean-spiced sea salt and black pepper, to taste.
4. Open grill and place tuna steaks and lemon halves over direct heat. Cook tuna for 2 minutes per side for rare. Increase time slightly for medium, but do not overcook.
5. Remove tuna and grilled lemon halves from heat and garnish with a spoonful of gremolata. Serve with grilled marinated asparagus or other side of your choice.
For best results, do not close grill lid while grilling tuna steaks.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 404Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 30mgSodium: 702mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 4gSugar: 7gProtein: 17g