This butternut squash pasta recipe is hearty and flavorful, perfect for an easy meal with family and friends. Serve it with a green salad and a crusty loaf of French bread and people will be happy.
One of the great things about Italian cuisine is that it uses what’s fresh. This vegetarian pasta recipe is perfect for the winter months, as it uses ingredients that are available when fresh, locally produced tomatoes are scarce.
Making butternut squash pasta
This recipe calls for packaged spaghetti, but if you’re inclined, you can certainly use fresh pasta.
Bake the squash in the oven while you’re preparing the pasta and the creamy spinach sauce. Then simply assemble the ingredients and dish up!
This pasta is delicious topped with toasted walnuts. See how to do that here, or use the trick below.
This meal comes together in less than an hour, making it perfect for an easy weeknight meal!
- 1 16 ounce package dry spaghetti
- 2 cups butternut squash, cubed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes, crushed
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups baby spinach, roughly chopped
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- ½ cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Toss cubed butternut squash with half of the olive oil (1 tablespoon) and season as desired with salt and pepper. Bake in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes (depending on the size of the squash cubes) or until the squash is softened. Tip: During the last 5 minutes of baking time, add the walnuts to one corner of the baking sheet to toast lightly.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package instructions. Drain and return to pot. Toss with lemon juice.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in garlic and red pepper flakes, cooking until fragrant.
- Add the heavy cream and bring to a simmer. Stir in spinach.
- Stir in parmesan cheese and cooked butternut squash.
- Pour sauce over drained spaghetti and toss to combine. Serve topped with chopped walnuts, additional grated Parmesan, and lemon zest if desired.
Nutrition InformationServing Size 1 Servings
Amount Per Serving Calories 307Saturated Fat 12gCholesterol 60mgSodium 165mgCarbohydrates 11gFiber 2gSugar 2gProtein 7g