Summertime calls for some special recipes. Like this easy homemade strawberry ice cream!
If you have never made homemade ice cream, you’re in for a flavor treat. And if your memories of making ice cream include long stretches turning the crank on an old-fashioned ice cream maker, you’re going to be pleasantly surprised at just how easy this is.
Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream
Ice cream was a rare summertime treat when I was a child. In hindsight, I realize that this was likely due to the sheer amount of work involved. Traditional ice cream recipes call for a cooked custard. Tempering eggs. Then churning the resulting mixture in ice cubes and rock salt until frozen.
It was freaking delicious.
While making ice cream the traditional way is a fun endeavor for family gatherings, sometimes a gal just wants some homemade ice cream, easy-peasy like.
How to make creamy strawberry ice cream without an ice cream maker
While there’s a certain amount of nostalgia that comes with a hand-cranked ice cream maker, ain’t nobody got time for that. At least not on a regular basis! This creamy strawberry ice cream recipe requires only four ingredients and no ice cream maker. No churning. No cooking. Easy as can be!
Making this no-churn ice cream
You’ll make this homemade strawberry ice cream with condensed milk, which is sweetened. Coupled with natural strawberries, this makes an ice cream that’s sufficiently sweet without adding any other sugar.
To make this no-churn ice cream, you’ll need to whip the cream. This gives the ice cream its airiness. If you have a stand mixer, this is a pretty hands-off step. Just set the mixer to work and prepare the strawberries while it’s mixing. A hand mixer requires a bit more hands on effort. Once the cream is whipped, you’ll simply fold in the remaining ingredients, then pour the mixture into a freezer safe container.
This ice cream does need to spend five or six hours in the freezer, so you’ll need to plan ahead for your dessert!
Really want to up your dessert game? Serve a scoop of this homemade strawberry ice cream over a chocolate waffle. ::Swoon::
- 1 sweetened condensed milk, 14-ounce can
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, cold
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ quart strawberries
- With a mixer, beat heavy whipping cream until thick.
- Remove stems and puree strawberries in a food processor for 15-20 seconds. If you don't have a food processor, use a potato masher to smash the berries. This will result in a slightly chunkier ice cream.
- Fold in sweetened condensed milk, vanilla, and strawberries just until smooth.
- Next, spoon ice cream into a freezer safe container.
- Freeze for 5-6 hours or overnight. When it is time to serve, remove the container from the freezer and let sit on the counter for 5-10 minutes before serving to soften.
Makes (6) ½ cup servings.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 6 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 300Saturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 109mgSodium: 31mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 2g