This easy quinoa salad recipe is perfect for taking on a picnic or serving as a side dish alongside fish or chicken. It’s ready to eat in less than half an hour!
Looking for another vegetarian salad option? Try this roasted artichoke salad.
For a light and refreshing summertime meal, a simple salad can’t be beat! This easy-to-make quinoa salad is no exception. Cooking the quinoa grains takes only 15-20 minutes, so it comes together really quickly.
Quinoa (KEEN-wah) is considered a superfood because it’s packed with nutrition. One cup of cooked quinoa has 8 grams of protein and 5 grams of fiber.
While a classified as a whole grain, it’s actually a seed that’s available in assorted colors. Look for black, red, yellow, and white quinoa at your natural food store or a well-stocked grocer’s.
If you’re new to this ingredient, this Mediterranean salad with quinoa is a great way to give it a try!
How to make quinoa salad
Step one: Make the dressing. This is easy. Simply combine the salad dressing ingredients in a jar and shake.
Step two: Put the quinoa on to cook. Combine the dry grains with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
Step three: While the quinoa is cooking, chop the cucumber, red onion, red pepper, kalamata olives, and parsley.
Step four: Combine cooked quinoa in a bowl with the remaining salad ingredients. Pour the dressing on and stir until thoroughly combined.
This salad can be eaten warm or chilled. If you prefer it chilled, be sure to make it several hours in advance of when you plan to eat it. Or make it a day ahead and let it chill overnight.
For a vegan quinoa salad, simply omit the feta cheese from the recipe.
More vegetarian recipes you might like:
For the salad:
- 1 ½ cup white quinoa, rinsed
- 2 ¾ cups water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large english cucumber, diced
- ¼ cup red onion, finely diced (optional)
- 1 red pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 cup sliced black or kalamata olives
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ cup finely chopped parsley
For the dressing:
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Fresh black pepper, optional
- Combine ingredients for the dressing in a jar. Shake until well blended. Set aside.
- Combine quinoa, water, and salt in a medium saucepan.
- Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or
until water is absorbed and the quinoa grains are open.
- Transfer quinoa to a large bowl and add cucumber, onion, red pepper, cheese, parsley, and olives.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss to combine.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until needed.
Serve warm or cold based on your preference.